6/9/15

Center Intern Update: Michael Aiello

What a great way to start the summer! I feel so very blessed to be interning in a Commonwealth Attorney's office. Within thirty minutes of my first day I was sitting second chair in court so that I can learn by observing.

Specifically, I'm interning with a Juvenile and Domestic Relations Team. We handle cases in Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court. In other words, we represent Virginia if a juvenile is the victim or criminal offender, or involves family members or domestic violence. I have already seen a wide variety of cases ranging from school food fights, to stolen cats, to malicious woundings.

Since starting I have observed court almost every single day, written three memos exploring various issues, and represented the Commonwealth in a disposition.

One of the most interesting things I've learned so far is that the juvenile system focuses on restorative as well as punitive justice. This means that juveniles are connected with services to help them overcome their difficulties so that they may become contributing members of society.

I am looking forward to what this summer has in store for me.

Read more intern stories >

No comments:

Post a Comment