6/18/15

Center Intern Update: Natasha Delille

The following is a summer intern update from Natasha Delille.  Natasha is interning at ADF International, an alliance-building, non-profit legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith.

Sometimes it’s Best to Just Jump Right In!

My Office
The scariest thing about starting at my new internship with ADF International's Vienna office was that I had never had a legal internship and I was worried that I would not know what to do. Oh, I almost forgot to add that I would be flying all the way to Vienna, Austria, for my internship at ADF International.

What does interning at an international firm entail?

ADF International works on religious freedom, sanctity of life, and marriage cases that go to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR).

Interning at an international firm that works with cases that go to the ECtHR means that when conducting research I have to look up the laws of the European Union, individual Member States, laws from non-EU countries, and international charters. 

Through my research I am learning a lot about the respective roles of the different European courts and international treaties.

What have I worked on?

The Organization for Security & Co-Operation
in Europe (
OSCE) Conference During a Break
During my second week at ADF International, I attended a conference at the Organization for Security and Cooperation at Europe (OSCE), located at the Hofburg Palace in Vienta, on enhancing efforts to prevent and combat intolerance and discrimination against Christians, focusing on hate crimes, exclusion, marginalisation and denial of rights. The conference was attended by delegates from more than 30 Member States, legal scholars, clergymen, lawyers, representatives from NGOs, and a Regent Law student. Throughout the conference speakers discussed the different acts of discrimination and violence that Christians in their countries are facing. The goal of the conference was to raise awareness and to discuss effective ways to report and combat these acts of violence and discrimination. 

At the OSCE Conference
During the past few weeks I have assisted with the research and drafting of letters to the European Court of Human Rights seeking permission for ADF International to intervene in cases and a memorandum to members of the parliamentary assembly. I have also have conducted research on topics such as the rights of unborn children, home school education, sex education, and transgendered civil status.

So, has it been as scary as I thought it would be?

Not at all! The work environment is great and I really feel like I am part of the team. My assignments have been challenging and eye opening. It has been such a blessing to have the opportunity to intern at ADF International and work on some of the complex issues that affect Europe. I think that one of the greatest things was to see some of the topics that I researched mentioned in the news and in blogs; it proved just how relevant and necessary ADF International’s work is.


"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.” - Colossians 3:23


No comments:

Post a Comment