11/16/15

Student Staff Member Update from Lucille Wall

The following is a student staff update from Lucille Wall ('17), who is also a staff editor on the Journal of Global Justice and Public Policy.

Lucille Wall
“Why did you go to law school?” This is the question I’ve received on a regular basis since I started attending law school a year and a half ago.

When I first began my journey at Regent Law, my answer to this question was very definite. “I want to fight for the oppressed. I want to be a voice for the voiceless. I want to use my skills to bring justice to the broken and healing to the hurting.”

Since being in law school, however, my ability to answer that question has wavered. The drive and purpose which brought me to Regent Law, my passion for justice, and my desire to help the hurting, have struggled not to get lost in the day-to-day routine of law school. There are briefs to write, footnotes to cite, oral arguments to prepare, classes to read for, cases to study, etc. In the midst of all the demands placed on law students, it’s so easy for us to get caught up in the work of law school and forget why we went to law school in the first place. 

This is one of the reasons why I find my work at the Center for Global Justice so refreshing. By being able to help real organizations that work to fight against injustice, it gives me an opportunity to focus on what really matters. Being on the student staff at the Center for Global Justice allows me to put law school in a healthy perspective. It reminds me of my mission here at Regent Law, and the passion Christ has put in my heart to defend those who can’t defend themselves and to stand in the gap for those who are alone and vulnerable. I love my work at the Center because it keeps my passion for justice alive. Working at the Center allows me to answer the question of why I went to law school with confidence and assurance, knowing that God has a place in the law market specifically tailored to my heart for the hurting and my passion for the oppressed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment