4/8/16

Student Staff Project Update: Michaela Pannell

This semester I have been working on two projects. The first project is an ogoing project that the Center does every semester, and a project which I worked on last semester. I, along with other students, have been monitoring all new cases that come before the European Court of Human Rights to see if ADF (Alliance Defending Freedom) might want to intervene. I have enjoyed having the opportunity to continue assisting ADF. Last semester was my first time working on the Student Staff, and right when I was beginning to feel comfortable, and (semi) competent with the work, it was the end of the semester. Feeling like I am doing some work long enough to produce good work product has been beneficial and encouraging this semester.

The second project I have been working on is with IJM (International Justice Mission). We have been researching and summarizing cases related to the unlawful taking of property in Uganda. I have found myself reading so many interesting cases that I just loose track of time. I sometimes thought researching U.S. cases was difficult, but having to research cases of another country has been the most frustrating and educational aspect for me.

I am taking an International Human Rights class this semester. In that class, we have learned about the European and African human rights systems. Being able to learn in class about the various systems and then to see it in real life through the work we do for the Center has been very rewarding.

“To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.” –Nelson Mandela

Michaela Pannell ('17)

No comments:

Post a Comment