9/22/17

Student Staff Update from Aja Mallory


Student Staff Member Aja Mallory

This semester I have the privilege of researching statutes and case law for one of our partner organizations. Due to confidentiality, I cannot share the name of the organization or the place they are working. However, I am really excited to be a part of this project. The thought of people not having access to justice because of their socio-economic status is frustrating, but I am thankful that I get to be a part of the solution.

Specifically, I am researching the requirements for bringing class action lawsuits in a certain country. The question is whether the individuals who have lost relatives to police shootings that have never been investigated can sue as a group. In this nation, police officers often act with impunity and are not held accountable for injuring or killing the poor.

So far, I have found the relevant civil procedure statute that communicates the necessary rules to bring a class action lawsuit and who is eligible to be a part of those suits. Importantly, I noticed that the requirements for suing the government are governed by a different statute, so that will need further research. Lord willing, we will determine that a class action lawsuit can be brought so the government can be held accountable for taking advantage of the poor.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice student staff member.  The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment