3/8/19

Empowering the Poor and Oppressed in Bihar


My name is Deanna Joy (Roepcke) Longjohn and I am a Masters in Law Student serving as a student staff member for the Center for Global Justice. This semester I have the privilege of working on Entitlement research for Justice Ventures International’s (JVI) work in Bihar, India.

Justice Ventures International states that their mission is “to secure freedom, justice, and restoration for the poor and oppressed by strengthening ventures that promote justice. Our vision is to see unjust communities transformed into communities ordered according to God’s standard of love.”[1]

My work for the JVI project includes doing research for the Lawyers’ Manual on Entitlements for the Indian State of Bihar. I am specifically doing research on government subsidized resources for pregnant and nursing women as well as people with Tuberculosis.

In India, there is a high infant mortality rate. The government has provided entitlements to help nourish pregnant women and provide them with the money and resources they need to have a healthy pregnancy. These entitlements extend to women who are nursing as well.

The Indian government has provided many great entitlements to help raise up the poor populations in their country. Unfortunately, not many poor people have access to the resources to know what opportunities are presented to them. This Lawyer’s Manual will help lawyers in Bihar make these entitlements accessible to the poor and oppressed in India.

I have enjoyed the opportunity to do research on Indian entitlements. I have always had an interest in Indian culture and politics and it is interesting getting to do research on the subject. It has also been a joy to be able to practically help while I am still in school. While in school it can be disheartening to study so much that you lose sight of why you are pursuing your education. Having the privilege to do research for the Center has helped me retain my focus on why I am pursuing my degree. This research position has empowered me to continue my education with excellence so that one day I can work in the human rights field.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice student staff member.  The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment