1/29/20

Fellows Update - Lorri Ann Drazan


Post by: Lorri Ann Drazan

I am almost halfway through my time serving as a legal fellow to International Justice Mission’s (IJM) Kampala, Uganda field office and in reflection my time has been very fruitful. The past two months have been particularly busy as IJM Uganda has taken on two new grant funded projects that involve us working closely with the United Nations. The projects will be implemented primarily in field offices outside of Kampala, but I had the opportunity to work on desk research to get the project off and running. I’m looking forward to working more on these grant funded projects that will surely impact survivors of sexual violence in Uganda.  

IJM Uganda works to strengthen the public justice system that victims of domestic violence and sexual violence find themselves navigating. Over the past decade, IJM has partnered with the Ugandan Judiciary to reorganize court registries as part its the work to strengthen Uganda’s public justice system. Recently I have been assisting with the re-organization of a rural high court’s registry. Something as simple as a filing system makes access to justice possible for many victims in rural areas and the dispensation of justice quicker. An organized court registry also goes a long way in combating corruption among court officials.

Working at a busy non-profit I am often called upon to assist with non-legal needs, such as helping our aftercare team. This past month I assisted one of our social workers with an urgent call to access the needs of 90+ women and girls rescued from human trafficking that were under the care of Uganda Police Force’s Criminal Investigation Division (CID). After meeting with many of the survivors, we were able to support the CID by supplying basic toiletry items and linens for the shelter on site. I will never forget that day. I was inspired to continue to fight for justice for the poor and marginalized. On days when my work is physically and emotionally draining or when I find myself jealous of my law school peers’ salaries, I will just remember the smiles of those girls and be encouraged that God will equip and sustain me.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Fellow. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment