2/19/20

Alliance Defending Freedom and Empowering the Courts in India


Post by: Arie Jones

My name is Arie Jones and I am a 1L at Regent Law. Before coming to Law school I spent some time working in the medical field where I had the privilege to serve people when they were at their most vulnerable. Feeling the call of the Lord to continue that service in a more intellectually rigorous way, I began my law school journey. It’s been an incredible experience making my way through my first year of Law school. The Lord has been growing and stretching me in ways I never imagined. I can’t quite describe the sense of gratitude I have for being apart of a school that has such an unabashed love for the Gospel and heart for the downtrodden.

This semester I have been researching for a project for the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) in India. Over the last several decades the nation of India has been fighting the social tragedy of female foeticide, the mass abortion of female babies. The issue has become so acute that in some states in India, the gender ratio is only four girls for every five boys. In 1994, the India legislature passed the Pre-conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostics Techniques (Prohibition of sex selection) act, with the purpose of curbing this destructive trend. However, over the proceeding years the local and state governments were not enforcing the law. In response, the Judiciary has taken up the unusual role of enforcing the act themselves. Our role in this project is to research all of the relevant cases over the last several years that interpret this law and compile them into a single resource. In doing so, the hope is that this resource will assist judges as they interpret this vital law.

Having the opportunity to engage in this work with other fellow students has been an incredible honor. I am reminded of the constant need to be vigilant in the protection of the vulnerable. It has been humbling to contribute to that end.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Student Staff member. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.



No comments:

Post a Comment