2/25/20

Little Steps for Human Rights – Fighting against Corruption in a Little City in France


Post by: Ji Hye Baek

My name is Ji Hye Baek. I am a 3L, working as a legal trainee at GRECO of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, France. I have had the privilege of working for GRECO, a Group of States against Corruption which fights against corruption through research, investigation, evaluation and recommendation process on 49 member states including the United States. GRECO’s ultimate goal is to reduce corruption in its member states, to strengthen its sovereignty and furthermore to promote and protect an individual’s human rights.  

The internship at GRECO benefited me and my legal career because, similar to what GRECO pursues, my professional approach is geared towards globalization involving legal issues while promoting the human rights of those who are underprivileged. While working at GRECO, I researched and analyzed the corruption status of different member states, such as Belgium, Croatia, France, Lithuania, Norway, and more. Based on my research, I analyzed if the member states are complying with GRECO’s standard. I also had a chance to review GRECO’s opinions and recommendations on draft laws of different states and learn how GRECO’s opinions have a worldwide effect on not only its member states but also those who are not members.

I also had a chance to attend a hearing at the European Court of Human Rights. The case was about the appointment of judges to the new Icelandic Court of Appeal contravened the principle of a tribunal established by law. I found it interesting how there were twenty judges from different states of Europe to make a judgment on a case from Iceland. It was such a memorable experience because I have only read and heard about the European Human Rights hearing through news and articles. It was interesting how European countries formed a Council and and helping each other to comply with the EU law as if they were one big nation. 

The Lord has given me such a privileged opportunity and changed me in a positive way and opened my perspective through this opportunity. Through my internship experience at GRECO, I acquired knowledge of different corruption levels by countries, the ability to identify deficiencies in national anti-corruption policies and provide an adequate recommendation to improve the situation. I also enjoyed working with trainees from all over the world and got a chance to learn and understand different cultures by cooperating with each other.

I enjoyed every single moment at GRECO and learned and developed every day in various ways. I learned the great importance of this international platform as I experienced the positive changes that GRECO brings to numerous member states. I had always wanted to intern at GRECO because corruption prevents individual and private entities from operating business in that State and to achieve my goal of protecting human rights through international business law. I thought acquiring knowledge of corruption in various aspects is crucial. My internship experience at GRECO will definitely help me promote trade liberalization and promulgate fair-trade law more effectively and thus lead me to achieve my ultimate goal to safeguard fundamental human rights.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment