2/7/20

The Christian Duty to Uphold Justice


Post by: Austin Coad

My name is Austin Coad and I am first-year law student at Regent University School of Law. I have the honor and privilege of working on the Student Staff for the Center of Global Justice here at Regent. I first learned about the Center in my first few weeks of attending Regent, I felt God’s call on my life to give some of my time and energy to work for the Center of Global Justice.

I grew up most of my life in Texas, and although I have only the highest praise about my home state, there are some dark realities that I have come to face. Houston is one of the largest hubs for human trafficking in the world. Immigrants that are fleeing oppression and civil unrest are coming to the southern border of Texas in order to find a better life for them and their families, but they are met with numerous obstacles that prevent them from receiving the opportunities that living in America affords. These are real issues that I have encountered and have made me realize that it is not enough to just sit idly by and hope that change comes.

The most influential people in my life have instilled in me the truth that all human beings are valuable and worth protecting. That God sees us as his children. That as a follower of Christ, I have a duty to uphold justice and fight persecution and oppression wherever it may be, in whatever form it manifests itself. That is why I am excited to join the student staff for the Center of Global Justice. The opportunity to come along side organizations that are not just sitting idly by, but are actively working to end the injustices that are present in Texas and around the globe.

Currently, I am working with the International Justice Mission in Eastern Europe. They are working to end human trafficking in that region of the world by working with governments to change or implement laws that will protect victims and punish offenders. My task is to collect data on the number of reported human traffickers in the area.

I am excited to be a part of this mission and look forward to seeing how my work and the work of the rest of the International Justice Mission team helps further the mission of ending human trafficking.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Student Staff Member. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment