4/2/20

State Laws and Their Impact on Those Vulnerable to Human Trafficking


Post by: Kelsey Yates

My name is Kelsey Yates and I am a second-year law student at Regent University. My goal after law school is to work in a non-profit legal setting that helps those in need, specifically victims of human trafficking and sexual abuse. Fighting to end these atrocities is something I am passionate about and is ultimately what encouraged me to attend law school. Proverbs 31:8-9 says, “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” This verse is so important to me because it reminds me of my calling and why I am on this journey of becoming an attorney.

As a student staff member for the Center for Global Justice I have had the privilege of aiding Shared Hope International in their fight against human trafficking through legal research. This semester our focus is on determining how different states handle two different groups: minors who have been charged with legal violations and youth who are considered “transition age” (between ages 18 to 24) and have “aged out” of foster care. These two groups can be especially vulnerable to human trafficking. Some states have a variety of statutes meant to protect and assist these groups and, thus lower the likelihood of these youth becoming victims of human trafficking. Other states, however, have little to no laws in place that protect or assist these groups. Youth who live in states with a lack of protection/assistance for these groups are in a disadvantaged position when it comes to their likelihood of becoming victimized.

Shared Hope International is working hard to abolish human trafficking through prevention, restoration, and justice. I am honored to be just a small part of that effort.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Student Staff Member. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment