10/28/15

Student Staff Project Update by Carter Budwell

Carter Working in the Center Suite
As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I am working on a project for Shared Hope International related to the treatment of “bottom girls” – girls who “help” pimps in the trafficking of others but are also victims of trafficking themselves.

For this post, I want to focus on a different, but crucial aspect of fighting injustice – mercy. Specifically, mercy for those who perpetrate injustice – in this case, pimps.

First, let me clarify: I am not speaking about simply forgetting about what they have done, nor am I in any way saying that they should not be punished for their actions. Through my research, I have read of pimps doing horrific things to others that merit considerable punishment, and I believe justice is served when they are punished. What I am talking about here is our heart attitudes toward these people.

As Christians, many of us undoubtedly experience God’s broken heart over victims of injustice. But do we realize that His heart is broken over the perpetrators of injustice as well? We must remember that these men and women who do such terrible things are still people who are loved by God, and for whom Christ died. I am convinced that we will not be truly effective in fighting injustice until we can look at the perpetrators of injustice with the same love and compassion as we do the victims.

I am reminded of the story of John Newton, a man who worked as the captain of a slave ship yet had his heart changed by the Lord and became the author of the hymn, “Amazing Grace,” and inspired people like William Wilberforce, the great abolitionist. We must never forget the redeeming power of God to change a man’s heart. Newton himself said, “I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.” As I write this, I wonder how many John Newton’s are currently working as pimps? Dare we believe in God’s ability to change their hearts and use them to build His kingdom?

In closing, I want to encourage those reading this to join me in prayer for those who perpetrate injustice. They too are in bondage, like all of us, to sin, and are in need of the mercy and love of our Savior, who came “to seek and save those who are lost.” – Luke 19:10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment