10/4/17

IJM Kenya Project Update

By CGJ Student Staff Member Destinee Easley

This Fall I’m working on my second project for International Justice Mission (IJM). I first heard about the work of IJM my freshman year of college, and I went to D.C. to tour their office the following year. As I listened, I remember being amazed by this “novel” idea that mission work could include legal work, and, even more than that, by the fact that I could be a missionary who brought a tangible form of justice to hurting people. This was a truly life-changing realization, and it impacted the choices I made for my future, including going to law school.

So, for this reason, when I read “IJM” on the list of project options during my first semester as an intern for the Center, I jumped at the opportunity. Last spring I worked on a project for IJM that dealt with Domestic Violence and Custody issues, and the research was heartbreaking and enlightening all at the same time.

Of course, this fall when the new semester rolled around and, yet again, I saw the option to work on a project for IJM, I jumped even quicker. Now, here I am, a month into the new school year, helping to lead the research for another IJM project. The awesomeness of this moment is not lost on me. Realizing that four years ago, when I was touring the IJM offices, the Lord foresaw this very moment makes me smile, big time, and reminds me that no matter how small an event in my life may seem, it is not insignificant—it’s all a part of shaping my story.

Due to confidentiality issues, I cannot share much detail about the research. For more information, see one of my team member’s posts here. But what I can say is that researching the law in foreign countries can be challenging, and often we find that we are investigating somewhat “novel” issues or cases of first impression for these courts. However, by sacrificing a little bit of time to scour the internet and critically apply the sources we can find, we save valuable time for the IJM staff. This translates to a more effective ministry for a staff that has important and time-sensitive work to do. And for the opportunity to contribute in this way, I am so very grateful.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice student staff member.  The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment